The transport that the League Rio de Janeiro city of Niterói to the Baía de Guanabara by water exists since 1853, with the creation of the company Nichteroy navigation. The companies were changing with time. As in 1869, Cantareira when the company Fluminense and Viação took over and went on to haul loads and vehicles.
In 1946 is Carioca instead of the fleet, acquired later Barreto fleet. But with the cycle of strikes in 1959, the population outraged depredou Niterói station and even the residence of some of the owners of the company, forcing the Juscelino Kubitsckek , President, to pass control to the Union.
In the Decade of 1970 is built Costa e Silva bridge President, Rio-Niterói, Bridge known for finishing with the transport of vehicles and loads by barcas. Over the years, the number of buses with this same path increased, causing unreasonable decrease of passengers on ferries.
In February 12, 1998, private initiative receives the grant CONERJ to administer, creating Barcas S.A the. The investments were directed to reforms, new vessels and lines.